The Thinking Chair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did the Fed cause the Great Depression?

2 posters

Go down

Did the Fed cause the Great Depression? Empty Did the Fed cause the Great Depression?

Post  Enron Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:05 pm

http://www.federalreserve.gov/BOARDDOCS/SPEECHES/2002/20021108/default.htm

"For practical central bankers, among which I now count myself, Friedman and Schwartz's analysis leaves many lessons. What I take from their work is the idea that monetary forces, particularly if unleashed in a destabilizing direction, can be extremely powerful. The best thing that central bankers can do for the world is to avoid such crises by providing the economy with, in Milton Friedman's words, a "stable monetary background"--for example as reflected in low and stable inflation.

Let me end my talk by abusing slightly my status as an official representative of the Federal Reserve. I would like to say to Milton and Anna: Regarding the Great Depression. You're right, we did it. We're very sorry. But thanks to you, we won't do it again." -Ben Bernanke

What better way to have a "stable monetary background" with low and stable inflation, than to have a gold standard?

Ben Bernanke recognizes the danger of inflation and as an official rep of the Federal Reserve takes credit for the Great Depression. In the speech that is referenced above, he recognizes that the Fed caused the Great Depression. None of us will argue with this, will we?
Enron
Enron

Back to top Go down

Did the Fed cause the Great Depression? Empty Something I've been seeing a lot of...

Post  B-Ran Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:57 pm

...while looking into the Great Depression is the role that the gold standard played in prolonging the GD:

The gold standard and the Great Depression. The current judgment of economic historians (see, for example, Barry J. Eichengreen, Golden Fetters) is that attachment to the gold standard played a major part in keeping governments from fighting the Great Depression, and was a major factor turning the recession of 1929-1931 into the Great Depression of 1931-1941.

* Countries that were not on the gold standard in 1929--or that quickly abandoned the gold standard--by and large escaped the Great Depression
* Countries that abandoned the gold standard in 1930 and 1931 suffered from the Great Depression, but escaped its worst ravages.
* Countries that held to the gold standard through 1933 (like the United States) or 1936 (like France) suffered the worst from the Great Depression
o Commitment to the gold standard prevented Federal Reserve action to expand the money supply in 1930 and 1931--and forced President Hoover into destructive attempts at budget-balancing in order to avoid a gold standard-generated run on the dollar.
o Commitment to the gold standard left countries vulnerable to "runs" on their currencies--Mexico in January of 1995 writ very, very large. Such a run, and even the fear that there might be a future run, boosted unemployment and amplified business cycles during the gold standard era.
o The standard interpretation of the Depression, dating back to Milton Friedman and Anna Schwartz's Monetary History of the United States, is that the Federal Reserve could have but for some mysterious reason did not boost the money supply to cure the Depression; but Friedman and Schwartz do not stress the role played by the gold standard in tieing the Federal Reserve's hands--the "golden fetters" of Eichengreen.
o Friedman was and is aware of the role played by the gold standard--hence his long time advocacy of floating exchange rates, the antithesis of the gold standard(1).

During a speech at the H. Parker Willis Lecture in Economic Policy, Ben Bernanke had this to say about the Gold Standard's role in the Depression:

The second monetary policy action identified by Friedman and Schwartz occurred in September and October of 1931. At the time, as I will discuss in more detail later, the United States and the great majority of other nations were on the gold standard, a system in which the value of each currency is expressed in terms of ounces of gold. Under the gold standard, central banks stood ready to maintain the fixed values of their currencies by offering to trade gold for money at the legally determined rate of exchange.

The fact that, under the gold standard, the value of each currency was fixed in terms of gold implied that the rate of exchange between any two currencies within the gold standard system was likewise fixed. As with any system of fixed exchange rates, the gold standard was subject to speculative attack if investors doubted the ability of a country to maintain the value of its currency at the legally specified parity. In September 1931, following a period of financial upheaval in Europe that created concerns about British investments on the Continent, speculators attacked the British pound, presenting pounds to the Bank of England and demanding gold in return. Faced with the heavy demands of speculators for gold and a widespread loss of confidence in the pound, the Bank of England quickly depleted its gold reserves. Unable to continue supporting the pound at its official value, Great Britain was forced to leave the gold standard, allowing the pound to float freely, its value determined by market forces.

With the collapse of the pound, speculators turned their attention to the U.S. dollar, which (given the economic difficulties the United States was experiencing in the fall of 1931) looked to many to be the next currency in line for devaluation. Central banks as well as private investors converted a substantial quantity of dollar assets to gold in September and October of 1931, reducing the Federal Reserve's gold reserves. The speculative attack on the dollar also helped to create a panic in the U.S. banking system. Fearing imminent devaluation of the dollar, many foreign and domestic depositors withdrew their funds from U.S. banks in order to convert them into gold or other assets. The worsening economic situation also made depositors increasingly distrustful of banks as a place to keep their savings. During this period, deposit insurance was virtually nonexistent, so that the failure of a bank might cause depositors to lose all or most of their savings. Thus, depositors who feared that a bank might fail rushed to withdraw their funds. Banking panics, if severe enough, could become self-confirming prophecies. During the 1930s, thousands of U.S. banks experienced runs by depositors and subsequently failed(2).

In an article by James Hamilton, Professor of Economics at UC San Diego entitled "The Gold Standard and the Great Depression" elaborates on the above point, saying in part:

Because of this uncertainty, there was a big increase in demand for gold, the one safe asset in this setting, which meant the relative price of gold must rise. If everybody is trying to hoard more gold, you're going to have to pay more potatoes to get an ounce of gold. Since the U.S. insisted on holding the dollar price of gold fixed, this meant that the dollar price of potatoes had to fall. The longer a country stayed on the gold standard, the more overall deflation it experienced. Many of us are persuaded that this deflation greatly added to the economic difficulties of those countries that insisted on sticking with a fixed value of their currency in terms of gold(3).

Hamilton goes on to point out that countries which left the gold standard after the GD experienced rapid economic recovery, whereas those which did not "experienced an average output decline of 15% in 1932."

If you have any recommendations for books I ought to read on the subject, I would gladly take them. By no means do I believe my viewpoint on this issue is entirely informed as of yet. At the same time, I think we both ought to get our hands on copies of Golden Fetters: The Gold Standard and the Great Depression, 1919-39 by Barry Eichengreen. From what I've read, it makes some very interesting points about the role the gold standard and its incumbent inelasticity played in the Great Depression. I guess that makes a good segue into the inflation discussion...

"1. Why Not the Gold Standard"
"2. Money, Gold, and the Great Depression"
"3. The Gold Standard and the Great Depression"
B-Ran
B-Ran

Back to top Go down

Did the Fed cause the Great Depression? Empty A book

Post  Enron Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:36 pm

Murray N Rothbard documented Benjamin Strong (the leader of the fed in the 20's) loosening credit, suppressing interest rates, and open market operations in the 20's in his book, America's Great Depression. I read some passages out of it today, and I hope to read it cover to cover soon.

The quick expansion of the money supply left banks over-extended. The contraction of the money supply was what was bringing the country back to reality. The combination of the expansion and then contraction left people hurting like Americans had not hurt before. If there was a sound monetary policy in the twenties, a sound monetary policy in the 30s would not have been devestating.

Regardless, Ben Bernanke says that the Fed "did it". What did he mean? Did he mean the expansion or the contraction? I think it was caused by the combination. Even so, without the contraction of the money supply, we would have inevitably crashed economically.

The only point that I am making is that the Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression by the Fed's own admission. So much for leveling the highs and lows for us.

Last edited by Enron on Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Enron
Enron

Back to top Go down

Did the Fed cause the Great Depression? Empty Oh, another thing...

Post  Enron Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Basically this is coming down to Keynesian vs. Austrian Economics. I am a believer in the Austrian theories and the ideas that are put forward that disagree with my thinking are generally Keynesian. We should start a forum specifically for that topic.
Enron
Enron

Back to top Go down

Did the Fed cause the Great Depression? Empty Re: Did the Fed cause the Great Depression?

Post  B-Ran Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:56 pm

Enron wrote:Murray N Rothbard documented Benjamin Strong (the leader of the fed in the 20's) loosening credit, suppressing interest rates, and open market operations in the 20's in his book, America's Great Depression. I read some passages out of it today, and I hope to read it cover to cover soon.

The quick expansion of the money supply left banks over-extended. The contraction of the money supply was what was bringing the country back to reality. The combination of the expansion and then contraction left people hurting like Americans had not hurt before. If there was a sound monetary policy in the twenties, a sound monetary policy in the 30s would not have been devestating.

Regardless, Ben Bernanke says that the Fed "did it". What did he mean? Did he mean the expansion or the contraction? I think it was caused by the combination. Even so, without the contraction of the money supply, we would have inevitably crashed economically.

The only point that I am making is that the Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression by the Fed's own admission. So much for leveling the highs and lows for us.

Well, I think that it's more appropriate to say that according to Ben Bernanke, the Fed caused the recession. But also according to Ben Bernanke, the run on gold worldwide during the run-up to the Great Depression also played a major role. In fact, in the paper that you cited, Bernanke had this to say about gold's role in the GD:

Friedman and Schwartz's insight was that, if monetary contraction was in fact the source of economic depression, then countries tightly constrained by the gold standard to follow the United States into deflation should have suffered relatively more severe economic downturns. Although not conducting a formal statistical analysis, Friedman and Schwartz gave a number of salient examples to show that the more tightly constrained a country was by the gold standard (and, by default, the more closely bound to follow U.S. monetary policies), the more severe were both its monetary contraction and its declines in prices and output.

Later, Bernanke points out...

They found that the countries that remained on gold suffered much more severe contractions in output and prices than the countries leaving gold. In a highly influential paper, Eichengreen and Sachs (1985) examined a number of key macro variables for ten major countries over 1929-35, finding that countries that left gold earlier also recovered earlier. Bernanke and James (1991) confirmed the findings of Eichengreen and Sachs for a broader sample of twenty-four (mostly industrialized) countries (see also Bernanke and Carey, 1996), and Campa (1990) did the same for a sample of Latin American countries. Bernanke (1995) showed that not only did adherence to the gold standard predict deeper and more extended depression, as had been noted by earlier authors, but also that the behavior of various key macro variables, such as real wages and real interest rates, differed across gold-standard and non-gold-standard countries in just the way one would expect if the driving shocks were monetary in nature. The most detailed narrative discussion of how the gold standard propagated the Depression around the world is, of course, the influential book by Eichengreen (1992). Eichengreen (2002) reviews the conclusions of his book and concludes largely that they are quite compatible with the Friedman and Schwartz approach.

He concludes the substantive bulk of his paper with this:

At the same time, my results were also strongly supportive of the view that adherence to the gold standard, and the associated monetary contraction, was of first-order importance in explaining which countries suffered severe depressions. Thus, as I have always tried to make clear, my argument for nonmonetary influences of bank failures is simply an embellishment of the Friedman-Schwartz story; it in no way contradicts the basic logic of their analysis.
B-Ran
B-Ran

Back to top Go down

Did the Fed cause the Great Depression? Empty Right

Post  Enron Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:00 am

I know that Bernanke focus's on the contraction way more than the expansion that led up to the contraction. Even though I disagree with him on how and why the Fed caused it exactly, I still agree that they caused it.
Enron
Enron

Back to top Go down

Did the Fed cause the Great Depression? Empty Re: Did the Fed cause the Great Depression?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down