The Thinking Chair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Radical Thought

2 posters

Go down

A Radical Thought Empty A Radical Thought

Post  B-Ran Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Admittedly, this is an idea spawned from deep left field...

What if we just packed up and left for somewhere in Montana where no one would find us and created our own little society out there away from everything else? I mean, really, it could be done. There are thousands of uninhabited acres out there. Or better yet, what if we emigrated to the Yucatan, settled in around a cenote, and went for broke?

Call me a Luddite, but I fear that the vertical integration of technology within our country is such that radical reform of any sort might be infeasible. Working within the system might be impossible.

This is just a flood of thoughts here. Who knows to what this might lead?
B-Ran
B-Ran

Back to top Go down

A Radical Thought Empty Re: A Radical Thought

Post  Gattaca Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:00 am

B-Ran wrote:Admittedly, this is an idea spawned from deep left field...

What if we just packed up and left for somewhere in Montana where no one would find us and created our own little society out there away from everything else? I mean, really, it could be done. There are thousands of uninhabited acres out there. Or better yet, what if we emigrated to the Yucatan, settled in around a cenote, and went for broke?

Call me a Luddite, but I fear that the vertical integration of technology within our country is such that radical reform of any sort might be infeasible. Working within the system might be impossible.

This is just a flood of thoughts here. Who knows to what this might lead?
My wife likes the Luddite concept. We've talked about it numerous times.

However, as much as I'd like to be independent, I have a some very serious reservations about such a lifestyle:
- I don't like being outdoors
- I don't like the heat/sun
- I'm a computer programmer...physical labor is not appealing to me AT ALL
- Lastly....because I am a computer programmer.....I HAVE VERY SOFT HANDS!!!!! Smile It just wouldn't work.

Although, I've mention on this site before.....we kind of like the idea of M. Night Shalaman's "The Village". We totally get it. Smile

Gattaca

Back to top Go down