The Thinking Chair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think the Bible is?

3 posters

Go down

What do you think the Bible is? Empty What do you think the Bible is?

Post  Enron Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:34 pm

I think the Bible is a collection of writings from Jewish and early Christian history that give us a better understanding of the Gospel. What do you think?
Enron
Enron

Back to top Go down

What do you think the Bible is? Empty Re: What do you think the Bible is?

Post  The Brain Train Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Could you have picked a question that I have been thinking about less over the past few weeks? Right now, I am realizing that I have always made apostles into perfect little jesus'. Realizing they sinned, including saying and doing wrong things is groundbreaking when I have put my faith in their words my entire life. So I question their writings. The idea that God made them say the exact things he wanted them to is un-god like, but I do think most of the things they say are in line with what God desires for us, but still I question some of it. For that matter, I sometimes dont even know if Jesus was really who he said he was. What makes me question it is how loosely the Bible was written. I think growing up in such a well structured religious environment is dangerous in this respect. Man made laws put in place of Gods and binding them on your kids makes them eventually question and doubt everything. But right now, I guess I can confidently say the Bible is a historical document written by various authors of the time period Jesus lived and the few hundred years after it.
The Brain Train
The Brain Train

Back to top Go down

Post  Enron Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:24 pm

JoshBrainard wrote:Could you have picked a question that I have been thinking about less over the past few weeks? Right now, I am realizing that I have always made apostles into perfect little jesus'. Realizing they sinned, including saying and doing wrong things is groundbreaking when I have put my faith in their words my entire life. So I question their writings. The idea that God made them say the exact things he wanted them to is un-god like, but I do think most of the things they say are in line with what God desires for us, but still I question some of it. For that matter, I sometimes dont even know if Jesus was really who he said he was. What makes me question it is how loosely the Bible was written. I think growing up in such a well structured religious environment is dangerous in this respect. Man made laws put in place of Gods and binding them on your kids makes them eventually question and doubt everything. But right now, I guess I can confidently say the Bible is a historical document written by various authors of the time period Jesus lived and the few hundred years after it.

Just to let you know, my faith in Jesus as the Son of God is stronger because of the fact that I have honestly looked at my faith (including what the Bible actually is). I look forward to talking to you in person about this.
Enron
Enron

Back to top Go down

Post  Gattaca Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:09 pm

I continue to make this journey. I consider myself a Christian. ...Currently though my position on the Bible is that much of the Old Testament is stories and not literal fact, whereas the New Testament is the accounts and writings of people that encountered Christ in person or accepted Him on faith...and tried to make sense of who Christ was, what we're supposed to do, and tried to help other makes sense of it all too.

Gattaca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum