The Thinking Chair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Galatians 3

2 posters

Go down

Galatians 3 Empty Galatians 3

Post  The Brain Train Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:37 pm

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Gal 3:4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if [it be] yet in vain.

Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

I know it might be hard to put into context, but if it is, break out your Bible and think with me. Paul is writing a letter to the Galatians who just converted to Christianity and is telling them to not keep looking to the jewish law but to something else which Christ brought.

A few questions:

In verse 5, what is the Spirit? Is it the ability to do miracles, is it the peace that you have when you are "with God", or is it something else?

Whatever it means by "the Spirit", how can someone think that baptism has anything to do with getting the Spirit? It says nothing about baptism but talks about hearing with faith. It was pointed out in verse 27 or so it talks about baptism but I dont understand the argument. I think the logical fallacy would be what they call a tautology? You're saying Paul is implying baptism because you think its necessary to have "the Spirit" (whatever it is). Also, if you think that implies baptism, what is keeping that mindset from thinking they have everything else perfect? (or you're idea of perfect)

Is the Spirit what brings you to heaven or required to get to heaven?

If these thoughts seem scattered, its because they are. I mostly want to make sense out of this. Gattaca, I would like to hear what you think as well.
The Brain Train
The Brain Train

Back to top Go down

Galatians 3 Empty Re: Galatians 3

Post  Enron Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:58 pm

I do not know yet what exactly I think the Spirit is. I will have to look further into this to give you any educated opinion. I doubt it is talking about the Spirit meaning "baptism", because from what I know, those two words don't mean the same thing. I really don't know what Paul was talking about. I will have to read Galatians and see if I have an opinion.
Enron
Enron

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum